Sunday, January 24, 2010

Valentine Glass Pendants!

Well folks....I tried. I tried making beautiful pendants, book marks and ornaments by soldering microscope slides, but it's not my thing. I know I probably didn't have a hot enough soldering iron, the patience or time....but I just didn't latch on. The sad thing was that I really liked the look....

Flash forward to The Scrapbook Expo a few weekend back. The very first booth I popped into was Craft Fantastic. While the website isn't the greatest, their products are! They had an inexpensive make-n-take pendant and I fell in love with it! The procedure is pretty simple: take an image and pattern paper and glue back to back the with the lacquer. Put 5 dots of lacquer on a glass square and place directly on top of the image. Paint a clear coat of lacquer on the back and dry. If needed, trim the image. Finally put a dab of super adhesive on the bale and glue to the back. The whole process takes about 5 minutes! The only down side is that you have to wait about a day before you can wear it.

After making a cute pendant I was hooked! I bought this basic kit which came with 20 square glass pendants, lacquer, heavy duty super glue and 20 bales. In addition, I also bought a set of 1x2 glass rectangles.

The best part is that making these pendants are so quick, it leaves more time to design the actual piece! Since Valentine's Day is around the corner, I thought I would play around with some ideas. I busted out the watercolors and doodled with artsy-hearts, but nothing really jumped out at me.

Then, I thought of my upcoming Valentine's swap with my friend Claire. She has such a unique style about her that I started thinking in a different way. That was when something new jumped on the paper....I cute little love-bot! Then I remembered all the beautiful images Bryanna sent me and picked out a few as well. The more I played around, the more ideas I came up with!


I have to say that I am very happy with the end result of my little Valentine Pendents. Here are the fronts of the pendants. The abstract one in the upper right corner was created using alcohol inks (my new favorite medium) and Dust-off (air in the can).

These are the backs....oh for whatever reason, in this picture the upper and lower right pendants got swapped from the picture above.

Hooray for Glass pendants!!

2 comments:

  1. That is really quick and looks great... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are class!! I really like those. I havent been bothered with jewellery making yet.. was thinking of venturing into hair accessories when I get my loom :)

    ReplyDelete